For about 20 years, Ray Keating wrote a weekly column - a short time with the New York City Tribune, more than 11 years with Newsday, another seven years with Long Island Business News, plus another year-and-a-half with RealClearMarkets.com. As an economist, Keating also pens an assortment of analyses each week. With the Keating Files, he decided to expand his efforts with regular commentary touching on a broad range of issues, written by himself and an assortment of talented contributors and columnists. So, here goes...

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Paisley Hits the Right Notes at the Right Time with “No I in Beer”

by Ray Keating
The Keating Files – April 18, 2020

Sometimes you just need a drink and a good tune. In fact, I find that’s increasingly the case in recent years. Brad Paisley helps with his new tune “No I in Beer.”


Quite frankly, I’m exhausted by self-righteous, preachy, ignorant lecturers, along with angst-ridden, blame-others victims on the Left. Oh yeah, and I’m also exhausted by angry, preachy, ignorant screaming heads, along with angst-ridden, blame-others victims on the populist Right. (To be clear, as a conservative, I tend to expect more from those on the Right, so when they go careening off the rails, I tend to get even more worn down.)

It seems as the worst on the Left and Right – such as Progressives and populists, respectively – seemingly drift further apart, the more alike they become. Hmmm.

Heck, they’ve even managed to politicize the coronavirus, as if it’s not enough that we’re confronted by a too-often deadly pandemic.

Do you see why I’m in need of a drink and some good music? I’m guessing that I’m not alone here.

Thankfully, Brad Paisley stepped up on April 15 when he dropped “No I in Beer.”

Before I get to the song, Paisley ranks as my favorite in a genre that I’ve labeled “Cowboy Beach Music.” What’s that? It’s a rockin’ form of country music that focuses a great deal on fun, sun, the beach, love (lost or not), and often, a refreshing beverage. Think cowboy hat, the crashing surf, a blanket in the sand, a beautiful woman, a handsome guy, and either a cold beer or an icy tropical drink. That’s Cowboy Beach Music. For a good number of years, the leaders in Cowboy Beach Music clearly have been Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney, with others following their notes in the sand.

Throughout the Obama and Trump years, and now tossing the coronavirus into the mix, I find myself listening to Cowboy Beach Music more and more. Go figure.

Now, Paisley has stepped up with “No I in Beer.” I first heard him sing it on a recent Facebook livestream. He actually co-wrote the song with Kelly Lovelace in 2018, but it fits our current coronavirus, isolation circumstances perfectly. 

Paisley said, “People are utilizing this time to connect and to feel solidarity as human beings. This song wasn’t written for this specific moment we are all facing, but it takes on a new meaning for me when I hear it now.” He added, “If we’ve ever felt unified as Americans, as citizens of the world, it’s in the fact that nobody loves what we’re going through, but everybody’s willing to do what we have to do. One of those things is, let’s be a team.”

The upbeat song is about coming together as a team under all kinds of circumstances. For example, Paisley sings... 

So you got a buddy whose heart broke
See if you can get him on the phone
Tell him life ain't fair we all been there
But ya don't have to drink alone, 'cause

We're all in this together
That's why God put us here
Drinkin' oughta be a team effort
There is no "I" in beer

And later...

This was gonna be our season
Yeah, we were the team to beat
Oh but not anymore, we're lookin' at the score
In shock and disbelief, but

We're all in this together
And there's always next year
I'm liking all this team effort
There ain't no "I" in beer

And for these times...

Yeah, to the farmers and the first responders
To the truck drivers shiftin' gears
Every nurse that needs a break, let me buy you a drink
There ain't no "I" in beer

Good stuff. In fact, I can’t get enough of this song.

Looking ahead, as noted on his website, “Paisley plans to host virtual happy hours and continue performing live stream concerts in the immediate future.”

Count me in, Brad. I need more that’s uplifting, as opposed to exhausting. Pass me a cold one.

__________

Ray Keating is a columnist, economist, podcaster and entrepreneur.  You can order his new book Behind Enemy Lines: Conservative Communiques from Left-Wing New York  from Amazon or signed books at RayKeatingOnline.com. His other recent nonfiction book is Free Trade Rocks! 10 Points on International Trade Everyone Should Know. Keating also is a novelist. His latest novels are  The Traitor: A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel, which is the 12th book in the series, and the second edition of Root of All Evil? A Pastor Stephen Grant Novel with a new Author Introduction. The views expressed here are his own – after all, no one else should be held responsible for this stuff, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment